Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Berlin, Germany - A wild NYE celebration

How do we top a white Christmas on the snowy Alps of Austria? Visit Berlin for New Years!! I know I have previously stated how much I loved Zell-am-see and Prague, and I know that it must sound like I just brag on everywhere I go; but, I also really, really loved Berlin… and for completely different reasons. It’s a bit of a concrete jungle in areas, with quirky backstreets and graffiti walls that surprise you with bursts of colour every now and then. At times, the streets were baron as the public holidays meant a lot of places were closed. But, it didn’t stop us from thoroughly enjoying what was on offer.

The one thing that I was insistent about doing was a walking tour through the streets of Berlin, despite the cold factor and the unwelcoming showers of rain that came in intervals. You can imagine the enormously wonderful history that was divulged on the tour, and I devoured every bit of it up, enthralled with how real it all was, how tangible the Berlin wall became. I was in awe and instantly became addicted to the history and rich culture that this city encompassed.

During our tour we were taken to the Memorial of the Murdered Jews. It was constructed of concrete block towers, all of differing heights, like a grid popping up out of a wavy floor. When walking amongst the blocks it is so easy for one to feel disorientated, lost, unsure and in search for someone or something familiar, guidance or a sign of the end. Whilst the memorial doesn’t have an explanation for its appearance, it’s open to interpretation. I felt moved and undone by these somewhat emotionless towers. Why? Maybe it was the knowledge of what it stood for. Maybe it was because it represented individuals, their unique lives, yet all destined for one fatal end. I still don’t know exactly what it was that managed to have such an impact, but I know I will never forget the site.

As well as this, we visited a section of the Berlin wall and were told incredibly unfathomable stories of people who managed to escape, as well as horrible instances of people who were not so successful. This concept of a wall dividing the entire city, the entire country, was just so vague and unbelievable, until I faced it myself and was able to envision the guards marching up and down the wall, readily available to shoot any escapists. What a different world I have known. We were so entranced by this that we actually went back to the flat and started watching documentaries on the Berlin wall.

If I wasn’t already completely full to the brim with historical facts and the tragedies of the past, we ended our tour on Museum Island… an island of museums! The stunning buildings were enough to take my breath away. However, it was a small cave-like memorial that managed to well up my eyes. It was dedicated to an unknown Jewish mother and an unknown German soldier whose bodies lay beneath the ground. On the surface a statue of a mother holding her child is displayed, with her robes loosely hugging her kneeling figure and falling in a crumble on the floor. It was very simple, yet again so moving and impacting.

The apartment we were staying in whilst in Berlin was just a gem. It was owned by an interior designer, who is also a mum of two young kids. Their place was on the top floor of a corner block, perfectly positioned to view the unending fireworks that were exploding for the entire three days we were there. Actually unending. A neighbouring apartment was setting them off out the window next to us. It was INSANE! This was just the lead up to New Years Eve…

We decided we couldn’t be in Berlin for New Years and not venture out to where everyone was gathering. We went to the Brandenburg Gate to join with the mass of crazy people awaiting the countdown to midnight. I know that it’s going to be impossible for me to adequately paint the scene for you, but to just give you a taster… there were people everywhere, drinking, dancing, laughing, and yes, setting off fireworks. I had one roll down to rest next to my foot, sizzling away as it threatened to explode and take me down with it. As you can imagine, the hysterical game of hopscotch I then started to play was a humorous sight; but unfortunately it did not grab any attention from the nearby party goers, as I was drowned out by the thousands of exploding noises and jolly celebrators. I kept both my legs in the incident, and the four of us kept moving on briskly, to find a good but safe spot to see the midnight sky show.

We just sat behind the memorial of concrete blocks and in awe (and in a little bit of fear for our lives) we watched the fireworks dance emotively across the sky. A kiss for my husband and a hug for my beloved friends, Johnny and Lauren, it was a New Years to remember. Not long after midnight (hmm, I exaggerate… immediately after midnight), we decided to head home for a cup of tea and some sleep. We were the cause of hysterical laughter from our taxi driver who questioned us about which party we were going to. He couldn’t believe that we were in Berlin for New Years and going home as soon as the party was starting.

It was a hard place to leave and definitely one to revisit. A Happy New Years, indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment